Volunteer opportunities are numerous at the ARL of Marshalltown. With the hundreds of animals we see each month, there is always something that needs to be done.
Opportunities include, but are not limited to, the following duties:
- Cleaning– scrubbing kennels, laundry, sweeping, mopping, scooping kennels throughout the day, cleaning used pet taxis, etc
- Grooming animals moving to the adoption area– bathing animals, trimming toe nails, trimming up and removing mats from animals
- Grounds work– mowing, weeding, trimming trees and bushes, helping with work in our pet cemetery, etc
- Helping at fundraisers– variety of jobs available dependent on type of fundraiser
- Socialization & Obedience– walk dogs and work on basic obedience with them, interact and play with our cats and kittens- the more positive interaction our animals have with people the more adoptable they become
We often have special projects that we need help with at various times of the year. Check with the front desk for other opportunities that may be available.
How old do I have to be to volunteer?
- At least 8 years old.
- All youths under the age of 18 need to have their parent or guardian sign a consent form to volunteer at the shelter.
- Youths of 8-13 years can volunteer as long as they are accompanied at all times by a parent or guardian.
- Youths over the age of 14 can volunteer without parental supervision, as long as they provided a signed consent form.
Check our Calendar of Events for the next Volunteer Orientation, typically on the last Saturday of the month @ llam. For questions, call 641-753-9046 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.